22 Haziran 2009 Pazartesi

Pamukkale (Hierapolis)

I am running a tour at the moment. A group of 10 people. Some from USA, some from AUS and Our Guleta Kiwi couple. We are in the middle of the tour in Selcuk. After spending two nights on the boat (gulet) at Gocek Gulf nobody wanted to get on the bus again but I convinced them somehow (experience :)). Seven hours driving and visiting Pamukkale in the middle of the journey, at noon time. Loooong day.

So we started the drive at 9:30. We gave a stop at a small town on the Taurus Mountains called Kale. We experienced the massage chairs one by one. 1 Turkish Lira(TL) (1€=2.17TL 1$=1,57TL ) for 3 mins. Good value.When all the coins were finished we continued to Pamukkale. When we got there it was 1 ish so we had lunch first. There is not a really good restaurant in Pamukkale. When I travel abroad the first thing that I do is to check the restaurants. Food is very important to me as a traveller, so I always take my groups to the restaurants that serve local and yummy meals. But Pamukkale is a place where you just eat to ease your hunger feelings. I explained this to the group and went to a place where they serve open buffet. Actually not bad place for this kind of restaurant. So after the lunch up to Pamukkale. The HELL on earth. It was soooooooooo hot. We started from the theatre. Then the pool and the white terraces. And I gave free time so they coud go visit the Necropolis. I ran to a kiosk to buy an ice cream and water. The HELL on earth I tell you. A girl on my tour had sunstroke. She dind't enjoy the driving to Selcuk at all.

Pamukkale is a different place. Maybe one of the musts in Turkiye but soooo crowded and hot. The site is open for 24 hours. But the Thermal pool is open between 08:00 - 19:00. So the best time to visit the site is early in the morning (visit the site first see everything and the pool) or late afternoon (go to the site at 18:00, go swim first, then see the remains and watch the sunset). I believe it is one of the best places to watch the sunset also.

A photo from one of my previous tours As I said Pamukkale is really different historical site then the others with its calsified white terraces, Roman ruins, Antique Kleopatra Thermal Pool (here you swim above the remains of a temple) and the largest ancient cemetery( The Necropolis). However a little bit pricey.
Entrance fee 20 TL
The Termal Pool 23 TL
The Museum 3 TL (There is a Roman Bath which is turned into a museum today and it is worth seeing.)

So we drove 3 more hours to Selcuk. We have 2 nights here. Everyone was tired so the best option for the dinner was the hotel's restaurant which is one of the best restaurants in Selcuk.

I woke them up at 7 this morning. They are at Ephesus now with a local guide. And I am in my room resting. They will be finished soon and then it is their free afternoon. I gave them all the options with the city map. I wonder what they will do. Of course I will let you know toooo :)


The tip of the day. Dont bring traveller cheques to Turkey (hard to change and they charge lots of comisions at the banks).

1 yorum:

  1. I've been to Pamukkale but never thought of waiting for sunset, such a shame. Hope I can see it soon :)
    I really like the tips also! :D

    YanıtlaSil